Bastourma & Halloumi Kebab – The Lebanese Favorite
Bastourma & Halloumi Kebab is a delicious combination of Greek cheese and Middle Eastern meat. This is one of the most popular kebabs in Greece, and it’s also very easy to prepare. In this recipe, we will show you how to make Bastourma & Halloumi Kebab with some simple ingredients—all you need are ground beef, oregano, garlic cloves and other spices (paprika powder). Enjoy!
Without meals prepared on the BBQ, summer wouldn’t be summer. However, it might be challenging to locate vegetarian choices that aren’t just the typical veggie burger. By using halloumi cheese and a vivacious and fresh lemon parsley marinade, these halloumi kebabs breathe new life into bland, traditional vegetarian skewers. Halloumi cheese is perfect for grilling since it maintains its structure and doesn’t melt.
What is Bastourma & Halloumi Kebab
Bastourma and halloumi kebab is a dish that marries two Greek cured meats with Cypriot cheese. Bastourma is a type of pastrami, while halloumi is similar to mozzarella. This recipe is very simple and easy to make at home. The combination of these ingredients makes for an amazing appetizer or snack on its own or with some good bread for dipping!
These halloumi skewers are bursting with flavor and ideal for both vegans and meat lovers. Although we prefer to cook them on the barbeque, you can also bake them.
- Pita bread
- Tzatziki sauce
- Olives (optional)
- Tomato, sliced thinly or diced (or both)
- Cucumber, sliced thinly or diced (or both)
- To make the chicken, marinate the chicken breasts in a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice for at least 30 minutes.
- Fry up some onion until it’s golden brown before adding garlic and ginger paste to the pot with some spices like cumin and coriander powder.
- Add tomatoes to the mix along with some water, salt & pepper; allow it to simmer while cooking your halloumi cheese.
- To cook the bastourma:
- Preheat a grill pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bastourma and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Let cool slightly before slicing into thin strips.
- You can also bake the bastourma in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through cooking time.
- If desired, serve with additional harissa sauce on the side for dipping or drizzling over top of your kebabs (when serving as an appetizer).
To ensure that you’re cooking your bastourma and halloumi kebab to the correct temperature, we recommend using a meat thermometer.
The bastourma and halloumi kebab is not a dish that can be eaten immediately – it must be allowed to rest after being cooked. We recommend cooking the two parts separately, serving them on separate plates, with the cucumber salad in between as well as some pita bread or flatbreads.
Add-ins and Variations
Add-ins and variations are a great way to add more flavor to your kebabs. Some of our favorites include:
- Spices! Try adding cumin, turmeric or cinnamon to the marinade. These will give it an extra punch of flavor.
- Fresh herbs like parsley, mint or dill are also delicious additions. You can use them fresh or dried (both work well).
- If you want something sweet try adding honey, orange juice or even maple syrup!
That is how we make it!
Bastourma & Halloumi Kebab is the perfect appetizer that you can make with your friends when you have a big party at home. It’s easy to make and it’s delicious!
You may choose whatever you want to use for the skewers. Halloumi, red and yellow peppers, and bay leaves were included in the original recipe. I choose a larger variety of veggies instead of using bay leaves. I used halloumi, mushrooms, red onion, and red and yellow pepper on this occasion. I won’t compromise on the red onion or the mushrooms! I also enjoy courgette cut into thick slices, but I didn’t have any on hand.
What to serve with kebabs of halloumi
These halloumi kebabs are a terrific vegetarian choice for grilling in the summer, and bean salad or tuna macaroni salad are two excellent side dishes to serve with any BBQ dinner. A fantastic option if you’re searching for something fresh and green is fattoush salad.
We hope that you enjoyed this recipe as much as we do! Feel free to experiment with different types of meat and cheese. If you like the taste of lamb, just replace it with ground mutton or beef. You can also add some bell peppers or mushrooms if you want extra flavors in your kebabs.