How to Make Perfect Cajun Chicken Alfredo
I like spice, but not too much. That’s why my recipe for Cajun Chicken Alfredo is perfect: you can add as much or as little spice as you want.
When it comes to cajun cooking, I’ve always been a little unsure of what to make. Whether you’re looking for something light or heavy on the spices, this dish will please every palate!
For the pasta:
- 1 lb. penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
For the sauce:
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, divided
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
1 lb. penne pasta, cooked and drained
Pasta is a staple of Italian cooking. Whether you’re looking for a quick, easy meal or something more complex, pasta fits the bill.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. This will look different depending on how thick your breasts are, but for me, that means about an inch across for each piece of chicken. Use a sharp knife and cutting board to make this as easy as possible!
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken until it’s done enough to eat (about 5 minutes). If you’re using boneless skinless breasts like I did, use a kitchen timer so that they don’t get overcooked!
1/2 tsp. garlic powder, divided
Garlic powder is a dehydrated form of garlic that’s ground into a fine powder. It has a stronger flavor than fresh or frozen minced garlic, but it can be used as a substitute in many recipes. To make this substitution, simply replace 1/2 teaspoon of the fresh or frozen minced garlic called for with 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. If you want to experiment with different types and sizes of dried herbs and spices, you can find them all at the grocery store!
3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes, or until it begins to bubble up a bit and smell nutty (this is called a roux). If you have an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, use this to speed things up!
- Slowly add 1 cup milk while continually whisking until smooth; continue cooking for another minute or so until thickened and bubbly like oatmeal porridge (you’ll notice lumps form at this stage—don’t panic!).
1 cup heavy cream
Heavy cream is a popular ingredient in many recipes, as it’s used as a medium for other ingredients. Heavy cream is also a dairy product that contains fat and calories, as well as vitamins A and D.
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil, divided
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
1 tsp. salt, divided
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Put the chicken on a plate and sprinkle with the seasoning mixture. Put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to marinate.
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
Ground black pepper is made from the pepper fruit and is used in many dishes. It’s a popular spice, often used in Cajun cooking and Cajun chicken recipes to give them that signature flavor.
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Garlic is a staple ingredient in Cajun cooking. Not only is it delicious, but the pungent bulbs are also a good source of vitamin B6, manganese, selenium, and vitamin C.
3 green onions, chopped
The green onions are also known as scallions, and they can be used in a variety of recipes. They have a milder flavor than regular onions and are often used in stir-fries and salads.
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
All-purpose flour is a blend of high-gluten and low-gluten flours. It’s used for baking because it has good yield, volume and texture.
Flour is made up of wheat grains that have been ground into fine powder. Flour can be used to thicken sauces, coat foods or add extra flavor to dishes.
2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning (divided)
- If you’re not sure what cajun seasoning is, it’s a blend of spices such as black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and oregano. You can buy it online or at any grocery store.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning (divided) to the chicken and toss to coat. This will give your chicken some extra flavor while it cooks!
This recipe is a great way to try cajun cooking!
Cajun cooking is a way of cooking that is spicy, but not too spicy. It uses a lot of spices and herbs, like paprika and garlic powder. Cajun food can be great for parties because it’s easy to make in large quantities and everyone loves it!
Leave a Reply