The Perfect Rice Pudding Recipe
This creamy rice pudding is a rich, decadent dessert with just the right amount of sweetness. While it’s perfect on its own, you can also try it with cinnamon and nutmeg or topped with whipped cream and berries.
What is Creamy Rice Pudding
Creamy rice pudding is a creamy dessert. It’s popular in many countries, including the United States and England. It’s also simple to make, which makes it a good dessert for summer, winter and children. Creamy rice pudding is typically made with rice, milk and cream. It’s often topped with cinnamon or fruit like raisins.
- rice (1 cup)
- milk (1 cup)
- sugar (½ cup)
- nutmeg, fresh grated or ground if you can get it (1/8 teaspoon)
- eggs, beaten (2 large eggs)
- vanilla extract (1/8 teaspoon or to taste)
- cinnamon, ground or freshly grated if possible (1/4 teaspoon for flavor; use more for appearance; store bought works great here—just avoid cassia if you can find it because its flavor is too overpowering in desserts like this one.)
- Heat milk, milk powder, vanilla and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in rice. Set aside to cool completely before refrigerating until cold (or overnight).
- Cooking time: 5 hours on low
- Temperature: 210°F/99°C
- Ingredients: 3 cups (720 ml) water, 4 cups (1 kg) long, grain white rice, 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) whole milk, 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) half, and, half, 15 oz sweetened condensed milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean (optional), 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil for cooking
Add, ins and Variations
Here are a few ideas for how you can add some extra flavor to your rice pudding:
- Add berries of your choice. If you love berries, make sure to try them in your rice pudding! They provide an amazing burst of flavor and color that will make this dessert even more special. Try strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or blackberries (or a combination).
- Add nuts of your choice. Nuts like almonds or walnuts go really well with creamy desserts like this one—they give it an extra crunchy texture and enhance the flavor with their earthy taste.
- Top with chocolate chips or drizzle melted chocolate over top before serving if desired! This is an easy way to dress up any dish while still keeping it simple enough that anyone can make it at home without much effort at all!
Creamy Rice Pudding is best to serve with
- Serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Serve with a dollop of fruit (strawberries and blueberries are great options!).
- Add chocolate sauce to your rice pudding for an extra decadent treat that both kids and adults will love!
- Drizzle caramel sauce around the edge of the bowl before serving so everyone can see how beautiful it looks! I like to use this recipe when making rice pudding because it’s super rich, creamy, and not too sweet—perfect for people who don’t want their dessert to be too sweet but still want something delicious!
- Use a large saucepan. This is the most important step in making rice pudding. Use a wide, mouthed pot so you can easily stir the ingredients without spilling them all over your floor, or worse, burning yourself while trying to retrieve them from beneath your stovetop.
- Use a large spoon or wooden spoon if you have one handy (it’s better than using a whisk because it won’t splatter as much). If you don’t have either available, use what’s available—a spatula works well too! Just make sure that whatever tool you choose does not scratch up your pan or leave any residue behind when used.
- If making pudding by hand with no tools at all, just use whatever utensil comes closest to resembling those listed above: muscle power and determination!
- Use a thermometer to check that your pudding is cooking at 185°F.
- Use a strainer or cheesecloth to remove the seeds from the skinned tomatoes.
I hope you have fun with this recipe. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them in the comments section below!
Leave a Reply