The Sweetest, Moistest Nutella Muffin Recipe
I know what you’re thinking: Nutella muffins are the greatest thing in the world. They’re perfect for breakfast and also make a great snack or dessert.
The flavor combination in these muffins is extremely unique; while the muffins themselves are light and fluffy, the mix of chocolate, cinnamon, and brown sugar adds taste depth and substance. It’s absolute delight to bite into that Nutella center! Additionally, they are not just for breakfast. The leftovers have been a treat for dessert after supper. This strawberry compote and a half Nutella muffin topped with a few scoops of ice cream are amazing!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (canola, can be replaced with another liquid oil)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten and at room temperature) * * One of the best things about making muffins is that you don’t need a mixer! All it takes is a whisk and a bowl to get started. Just make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before mixing them together in this recipe. If your butter or eggs are too cold, you’ll end up with tough muffins that don’t rise very well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla until smooth (this will take about 2 minutes). Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined; do not overmix! The batter will be very thick—don’t worry! This is normal!
- Use an ice cream scoop or 1/4, cup measure to fill each cupcake well two, thirds full with batter (you’ll have some left over). Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on top and springy to touch in center when gently pressed—poking any bubbles will deflate them so don’t worry about it too much! Cool completely before frosting.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Don’t overbake the muffins.
- Don’t overfill the muffin cups.
- Cooking time depends on the size of your muffin tin.
- If you don’t have a muffin tin, use a regular cupcake pan.
- If you don’t have either, you can use a mini loaf pan (but I highly recommend getting yourself a muffin tin ASAP).
Customize your Muffins
There are many ways to customize your muffins. Some of the ingredients that work well include:
- chocolate chips
- nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds)
- fruit (bananas, blueberries) if you want sweeter muffins. I like to add them when I’m using honey or brown sugar as the sweetener. This helps offset the bitterness of those ingredients as well as adding moisture and texture to the muffin itself. You can also add other fruits such as apples or pears—just make sure you don’t overdo it! Oranges are also good for an extra burst of flavor and sweetness; but be sure not to use too much orange juice because it will overpower your batter with its citrusy tanginess which may overpower other flavors in your muffin such as peanut butter or cinnamon. If adding oranges instead of lemon juice with sweetener then reduce amount used since they’re much more sour tasting than lemons!
- cinnamon, this adds depth without being overpowering like vanilla extract would be so go easy on this one especially if using honey which already contains quite a bit on its own (since honey isn’t naturally sweet). Also try sprinkling some crushed up graham crackers in there before baking too :, ) If still finding yourself wanting more sweetness after adding any type these toppings/flavors then just increase total amount next time around instead 🙂
Everyone will love you when you make these.
This recipe is so easy, even your kids can help make it. Just be careful about the chocolate you use, since it will affect the end result.
Freezing the Muffins
Allow muffins to finish cooling.
Place into a freezer, safe plastic bag.
1, 2 months of freezing
For serving, either defrost on the counter for a few hours or microwave each muffin for about 30 seconds.
Due to the brown sugar and cinnamon, these Nutella muffins are moist, light, airy, and have a rich, deep taste. When you take your first mouthful, a delightful spoonful of Nutella will be waiting for you. You are sure to enjoy this simple breakfast idea! These are so simple to make and they’re the perfect treat for any occasion. They’re great for breakfast, snacks, or dessert. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!