Southern Fried Cabbage – A Comfort Food Classic.
You can get your taste of Southern food with this recipe’s fried cabbage. This traditional comfort dish is flavorful and simple to prepare. You’ll need butter, eggs, flour, milk, bacon or a ham hock, and of course, excellent cabbage.
No other item can replicate the smokey taste that the bacon or ham hock imparts. To help bind the batter together, you’ll also need butter and eggs. Salt, milk, and flour complete this delectable delicacy!
- 1 tbs. butter
- 1/2 tsp. sugar, salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
The oven should be preheated at 350 degrees. In a big skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the bell pepper, onion, and cabbage. Cook for around 15 minutes, stirring now and again.
The length of time needed to cook cabbage will depend on its thickness. It is finished if it still has some crunch and has not lost it. It requires extra cooking time if it’s soft and mushy.
- Thaw the cabbage if it is frozen before adding it to the pan, and simmer it for 30 minutes or until it is soft.
There are ways to modify this recipe, just as with any other. Add additional cayenne pepper for a fiery taste if you want to take it up a level. Try adding some red wine vinegar if you’re in the mood for something tart. Alternatively, use brown sugar in place of white granulated sugar for a sweeter finish. And last, adding butter makes everything creamier.
Add-ins and Variations
You can also add any of the following ingredients to this dish:
- Chopped bacon, ham or sausage (pork)
- Chopped onion, green pepper, celery or red pepper
- Chopped yellow or orange bell pepper (your choice!)
- Diced tomatoes and mushrooms (if you like)
- Get the veggies ready. Potatoes and onions should be peeled and sliced into around 1/4-inch pieces (about half a centimeter). By hand or in a food processor, shred the cabbage, then set it aside.
- Get the oil ready. 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil should shimmer after 5 minutes of cooking in a big saucepan at medium heat. Then, add as many onion pieces as will fit easily in one layer along with salt and pepper, turning regularly for approximately 10 minutes, or until they are nicely caramelized on both sides. Repeat with the remaining onions.
- Add extra salt and pepper, along with the sliced potatoes and cabbage, and stir. Cover the pot with the top tilted slightly open to let steam to escape during cooking (leave lid slightly cracked). Cook without stirring for about 25 minutes total, or until vegetables are tender but not mushy when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife or fork. Stir the mixture only once or twice during cooking to prevent it from burning on the bottom of the pan where it is directly over a flame source, such as a stovetop burner (s).
A quick and easy recipe.
The nicest part about this dish is that it only costs $9 and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. The fact that it tastes fantastic is the runner-up! The fact that it is nutritious for you is another fantastic feature about this dinner. Just make sure to include lots of vegetables and a low-fat meat alternative (like tofu) to make it substantial and gratifying. If you want, you may use chicken for the tofu in this recipe, but I find that when cooked on high heat like this, chicken tends to dry up.
What makes southern fried cabbage so good? It’s fantastic for parties! The simplest comfort foods could also be the best. I particularly recall eating fried cabbage at family get-togethers or Sunday dinners when I was kid, and I still do! The deliciousness belies the fact that it’s a vegetable!
I’ve seen fried cabbage done in a number of different ways. Some folks swear by a “secret ingredient” or an outdated family recipe, but I’ve found that this straightforward strategy is my favorite. A delicious way to consume fried cabbage is with this dish. For your upcoming dinner party, you may offer it as an appetizer or a side dish. You are benefiting yourself by consuming this food since cabbage is beneficial for your health and helps prevent cancer.
You won’t believe how delicious this meal is. It is ideal when you need something quick and easy to prepare because it is really basic. What makes southern fried cabbage so good? It’s fantastic for parties! This recipe is best when served right after after cooking, just like any fried meal. Reheat it slightly in the microwave or oven if necessary, being careful not to overcook it.
Leave a Reply